Saturday, October 27, 2012

10-27-12 Karma (Cause and Effect)

I have written about cause and effect before. I feel that cause and effect is the core of our human experience and should be stated and restated until we can truly be aware and live within that awareness.

I believe in past lives which I have also stated before. Lately, I’ve been experiencing a kind of unhappy force affecting me. I don’t know very much about karma which led me to ask questions about it. One of my friends sent me some documents to read on the subject. I’m going to share part of my research with you because it’s apropos to this blog. I do not know the author; therefore, I cannot give credit:

“Karma” is both action and the consequence of that action; it is cause and effect simultaneously, because every action generates a force of energy that returns to us in like kind.

“What you sow is what you reap.” If we want to create happiness in our lives, we must learn to sow the seeds of happiness. Therefore, karma implies the action of conscious choice-making.

In every moment of our existence, we have access to an infinity of choices. Some of these choices are made consciously, while others are made unconsciously. We should become consciously aware of the choices we make in every moment. Whether you like it or not, everything that is happening at this moment is a result of the choices you’ve made in the past. Unfortunately, a lot of us make choices unconsciously.

If I were to insult you, you would most likely make the choice of being offended. If I were to pay you a compliment, you would most likely make the choice of being pleased or flattered. It’s still a choice. I could offend you and I could insult you, and you could make the choice of not being offended. I could pay you a compliment and you could make the choice of not letting that flatter you either.

Even though we are infinite choice-makers, we have become bundles of reflexes that are constantly being triggered by people and circumstances into predictable outcomes of behavior.

Our reactions seem to be automatically triggered by people and circumstances, and we forget that these are still choices that we are making in every moment of our existence. We are simply making these choices unconsciously.

If you step back for a moment and witness the choices you are making as you make those choices, then in just this act of witnessing, you take the whole process from the unconscious realm into the conscious realm. This procedure of conscious choice-making and witnessing is very empowering.

When you make any choice—any choice at all—you can ask yourself two things: First all, “What are the consequences of this choice I’m making?” In your heart you will immediately know what these are. Secondly, “will this choice that I’m making now bring happiness to me and to those around me?” If the answer is yes, then go ahead with that choice. (This choice works out Karma that matches.) If the answer is no, if that choice brings distress either to you or to those around you, then don’t make that choice. (This choice creates Karma.”





No comments: