Saturday, October 6, 2012

10-9-12  Insecurities

It's been a while since I have had something to say. I've been reflecting, just have not felt ready to produce.

My subject today is experiencing feelings of insecurity.  It seems most everyone I know has both confidence and insecurities.  I'm going to judge that this is probably normal.  I have some friends that are arrogant, which I've been told is the mind's way of denying insecurity by being boastful on the outside but still terrified that someone will find out they are really extremely insecure.

I have some insecurities which mostly are experienced at my job.  It will be interesting to see if they no longer exist when I retire in 6 months.  I always feel insecure when I'm in the company of anyone who seems to know anything that I do not know much about.  This happens quite often, but I tend to be attracted to information about the things I'm interested in.  In other words, there are many areas that I don't have any opinions or knowledge about because I haven't sought it out.

Having confidence in yourself about your abilities and not letting someone else's opinion about your abilities is the key to happiness.  I think you can have good self esteem and still be insecure in some areas of your life. 

The feeling of being insecure means that you have thoughts that have generated the insecurity. This  wonderful news because your thoughts are totally under your control as soon as you realize it and seek out changing your thoughts to rid yourself of the insecurity.  I ceratainly like knowing that my insecurity is not real that it is just a manifestation of my own incorrect thinking about myself.  This incorret thinking may be a result of some past experience where I perceived I was under verbal attack or I allowed someone else's words be the source I took upon myself which created my insecurity. I just like knowing that it's all under my control. I may not be able to correct my thinking immediately, it might take some long periods of introspect.

I will probably have more to say on this subject, but I have to close for now.



No comments: